It’s September. How did this happen?
August, like the previous seven months, flew by, and I didn’t manage to complete as much as I had hoped, even with extra time. However, I did go away at the end of August, so I didn’t have the whole of August to complete my goals. Yes, that’s my excuse, and I’m sticking to it.
So, let’s see what happened in August.
- Writing Goal 1: Novel 4th draft – edit up to chapter 33
Result: I didn’t manage to edit up to chapter 33. In fact, I was nowhere near. However, I did edit up to chapter five, and I did edit more in August than in the previous months. I would have done better, however, if it wasn’t for annoying Mr Procrastination; I would spend hours editing one paragraph, which is why I didn’t complete as much as planned.
- Writing Goal 2: Do outline task 1 and start novel outline summary for 2nd standalone novel
Result: I half completed this goal. Yes, that does count lol. I finally finished task one. I would have started the novel outline summary as planned, but as previously stated, I went on holiday during the last week of August, so I ran out of time.
- Writing Goal 3: OWG anthology – finalise last 5 stories/poems
Result: I only managed to finalise two pieces. Well, it was more like two and a half. I’ve recently finalised a third piece, so I now have two pieces left to edit and submit to Angela, our great leader. Hopefully, I don’t get a detention for missing the deadline.
- Writing Goal 4: Do audio recordings for uploaded stories
Result: I didn’t even start on this goal because I had to focus on the novel and OWG anthology pieces.
- Writing Goal 5: Read a novel from the ‘Female Horror Author’ list
Result: I’m still reading a novel from the list, which is Frankenstein by Mary Shelley. This, however, wasn’t my fault. I had difficulty in receiving any of the books I reserved from the library. However, this meant I could read a short story by Sharon Bolton and a short story by Stephen King.
- Writing Goal 6: Read a short story – ‘The Yellow Wallpaper’ by Charlotte Perkins Gilman
Result: Yes, I can finally say I completed a goal, so I get one pink star.
So now it’s September, which means it’s time for some new goals.
My September Writing Goals
- Novel 4th draft – edit chapters 5-40
- Do novel outline summary and start character profiles for 2nd standalone novel
- OWG anthology – finalise last 3 stories/poems
- Do audio recordings for uploaded stories
- Read Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
- Read The Doll-Master and Other Tales of Terror by Joyce Carol Oates
- Read ‘The Tell-Tale Heart’ by Edgar Allen Poe
Before I went on holiday, I was feeling mentally and physically drained, so it was a struggle to get anything done. But thanks to my break, I feel refreshed and ready to get back to work. My holiday even inspired an idea for a murder mystery story, and I wrote a poem. Sometimes, a break away from everything is the only way you can get your writing mojo back, so if you too find yourself struggling to reach your writing goals, then take a break. It doesn’t have to be a holiday. It can even be a day off. Just go do something that allows your mind to rest. Trust me; it does help.
Final note: I’m still working on a website redesign, so if you notice anything looking odd, it’s just because I’m messing with the website.
How did you do in August? Feel free to comment below. I’d love to hear how everyone else is doing.
Keep writing, folks!