I can’t believe it’s already October. It feels like I blinked and September was finished. The whole year is going so fast, which isn’t good when you’re behind on your goals. However, October will be an exciting month for me, I hope. I will become a year older, I’m going back to Florida after eight years away from my favourite holiday destination, and there’s Halloween to look forward to.
But before I allow excitement to take over, I need to review September’s writing goals. So, how did September go? Not too great, to be honest. But I did complete some of my goals for the month.
So, let’s see what happened in September:
- Writing Goal 1: Novel 4th draft – edit chapters 5-40
Result: I completed a chapter and a half, so nowhere near 35 chapters as originally planned. Editing the novel has become painful. Actually, it’s always been painful. I can spend an hour on one sentence and then turn around and delete it. I do wonder if I will ever have a submission ready novel. It’s as if I’m trying to run on water. What I need is a boat. I just need to figure out where to find a boat.
- Writing Goal 2: Do novel outline summary and start character profiles for 2nd standalone novel
Result: I did start the novel outline summary, and the ideas were pouring out, but I didn’t do as much on the second novel as I hoped. But, something is better than nothing, or so I keep telling myself.
- Writing Goal 3: OWG anthology – finalise last 3 stories/poems
Result: Yes, I completed this goal. I finalised the last three pieces for the writing group anthology and submitted them a good month after the deadline. Shocking, I know, but I’m glad that’s one project I can cross off my list. In fact, this is the first 2018 writing goal that I’ve been able to tick off, so yay me.
- Writing Goal 4: Do audio recordings for uploaded stories
Result: Again, I didn’t even start on this goal because I had to focus on the novel and OWG anthology pieces.
- Writing Goal 5: Read Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
Result: I did complete this goal, but I have a confession: I didn’t finish reading the last chapter. I needed to bring the book back to the library, so because I wasn’t enjoying the book anyway, I decided to bring it back instead of renewing it.
- Writing Goal 6: Read The Doll-Master and Other Tales of Terror by Joyce Carol Oates
Result: didn’t read this book because I was fighting with Frankenstein for the whole of August and September – the book, not the scientist. But I’m currently reading the book now, and I’m enjoying it.
- Writing Goal 7: Read ‘The Tell-Tale Heart’ by Edgar Allen Poe
Result: This is another green tick. I really enjoyed this story, and I would love to read more from this author.
So now it’s October, which means it’s time for some new goals.
My October Writing Goals
- Novel 4th draft – edit chapters 6-26
- Do novel outline summary, main character profiles and start working on plot for 2nd standalone novel
- Do audio recordings for uploaded stories
- Read The Doll-Master and Other Tales of Terror by Joyce Carol Oates
- Read ‘B. 24’ by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
I will be away for half of October, so I have reduced my writing goals for the month. As always, I hope I can complete all of my writing goals. I think the nice break away will help to boost my motivation and energy, fingers crossed.
Final note: I’m still working on a website redesign, so if you notice anything looking odd, it’s just because I’m messing with the website.
How did you do in September? Feel free to comment below. I’d love to hear how everyone else is doing.
Keep writing, folks!